Thursday, September 12, 2013

Anticipatory Annoyance

Do you ever piss yourself off over something that hasn't even happened yet?  And may not even happen? 

Say you have to go visit your Uncle Hector after work so you start imaging old Hector and how not-fun it is to visit him.  He always gets drunk and loud and does inappropriate things.  Then he always has a whore du jour who has to get up all in your face and ask you uncomfortable questions.  The more you think about it, the more you get pissed off.  You get annoyed at yourself that you agreed to visit Uncle Hector.  You get annoyed that you have an Uncle Hector.  You get annoyed just thinking about the whole situation.  By the time the actual event happens you have built up a big old ball of pissed offedness.

Yeah, I'm a master at doing this but I'm trying to get over it.  Because, it just so happens you go and visit Uncle Hector after work and he is nice as pie.  He's sober.  He's articulate. He doesn't throw anything.  His latest girlfriend is a sweetheart who made cookies for you.  You actually have a great time visiting Uncle Hector. You feel like a complete ass for all that rage you had earlier, not to mention the lingering knot in your neck you've given yourself.

I don't know why I so often suspect the worst when doing certain social functions.  Have I had my good times shit on that often by people?  Or am I just that pessimistic?
The Fine Print: I've found the best cure this malady is to give myself permission to leave immediately after doing whatever it was I set out to do.  That calms me down and reminds me I don't have to put up with anyone's shenanigans, except my own, which are vast and possibly rooted in insanity.  Cards from the Club Scrap Tribal kit. 

3 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

Permission to leave is vital! I'm a pessimist about social interactions of all kinds, but if I give myself that permission, I can often end up having an okay time - silly, really.

Two cracking cards - fabulous, bold graphics.
Alison x

A Little Time said...

Cute cards!

and YES! I do that shit all the time. ALL THE TIME!

That is why I have a Rx for Lorazapam. I work myself up into a tizzy.

505whimsygirl said...

I can get myself worked up over certain situations too. I'm glad you had a good time with your uncle and his new girlfriend.

Cute card!

Peace,
Kay