Friday, March 23, 2012

Bottle Cap and Tires

For those of you following along, you heard how I pondered running over a bottle cap to flatten it.  My hubby thought it was a bad idea and later took pliers and a rolling pin to a bottle cap to flatten it.  However, I still pondered running over a bottle cap to see the results.  I had people worried I would pop my tires--c'mon I bought these in December they still have LOTS of tread left--or worried that the bottle cap would become embedded in my tires--I always planned to put the bottle cap open side down.  No one worried that I might embed the bottle cap into the asphalt, but I guess folks realized it wasn't yet July so our asphalt hadn't reached its usual summer semi-liquid state.  There were concerns about dirt, grime, and tire tracks but I planned to cover the bottle cap with a cloth.  So today commenced THE GREAT BOTTLE CAP RUNNING OVER EXPERIMENT.  My husband laughed and took the bottle cap with him so I have no pictorial evidence of the outcome, but suffice to say it was very disappointing.  If you are looking to put a dent in your bottle cap then by all means, run it over.  If you want to flatten it, try something else. And here is what I made with my flattened bottle cap. And if anyone knows what brand of drink that cap is from, the husband is curious.

The Fine Print: stamp by Unity, wave punch by Fiskars, dot border punch by Martha Steward, pinking circle by Spellbinders, papers by Queen and Co. And yes, I know there are lots of tutorials on the web on how to flatten bottle caps, but running it over was more fun.  Next time I'll use my Big Shot. Or a mallet.  Or the husband's pliers and rolling pin method.

4 comments:

Georgiana said...

You sound like a true MythBuster. Which method will work best? Sounds like it was fun.

Georgiana
Carson's Creations

Julia Dunnit said...

Myth buster! Myth creator!! You are funny...I really wanted you to lay down a long line and embed them in the tyres to go clickers clacking around town for a while!!

Sarn said...

Can you run them through the Cuttlebug or Big Shot to squash 'em? Just a thought. Maybe not a good one! xxx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I had "heard" you could run them through the Cuttlebug and/or Big Shot but having warped the rollers in my CB by trying out one of those techniques I "heard" about I was totally leery. Finally I looked up a tutorial on how to flatten bottle caps with your Big Shot. I gingerly tried it and it worked... on those unused bottle caps, like home brewers buy. It didn't work on the ones you've taken off your beer. I only have 2 of those unused bottle caps and a zillion of the used ones. I heard you could use a mallet, but now we've talking violence!